I have always wanted to make an XL macrame beach bag, the bag where you can throw in all the towels, straw hats and your favourite book. I was very excited when Bobbiny_UK sent me one of their latest products, the 9mm 3-ply cord. The quality is always superb as well as their colour selection and is made from 100% recycled cotton. I picked sand because I just love this colour and it reminds me of summer.
To make this macrame beach bag size approximately 50 x 65cm you will need 3 rolls. You could reduce the size and purchase just 2 rolls, you will still have a fantastic bag.
Before I share the tutorial I wanted to add that you could line the bag. The pattern I designed has large gaps and it’s not ideal to carry small items, however, by lining it you will be able to carry anything!
Material & Equipment
Glue Gun (optional)
1 x 3 meters
29 x 2.2 meters
1 x 1.6 meters (this is for the handle and the length may vary depending on your style. I would recommend finishing the bag first before cutting the handle)
- Fold the long 3-meter string in half and tie 14 strings on each side using the reversed Lark’s Head Knot. You can work on a flat surface for now.
- Next, go around and tie a row of Righ Half Square Knots, using all the strings, including the two strands from the long 3-meter string
- Next, go around and tie a row of alternating Left Half Square Knots, followed by a row of alternating Righ Half Square Knots (PIC 1)
- At this point, you could hang the bag or keep working on a flat surface (PIC 2)
- Measure about 20cm and tie a row of Righ Half Square Knots
- Next, go around and tie a row of alternating Left Half Square Knots, followed by a row of alternating Righ Half Square Knots (PIC 3)
- Measure about 20-25cm depending on how deep you want the bag and tie a row of Square Knots using 6 strings for each knot. 4 filler strings and 2 working strings on each side.
- When you reach the end on one side, depending on how many strings you have used, you might have a different number of strands, don’t worry, just make Square Knots using 4 or 6 strands.
- Tie a new row of alternating Square Knots making sure they are tight. (PIC 4)
- If you want you can add a dot of glue using a glue gun inside the last Square Knots for extra security
- Cut the excess string and unravel (PIC 5)
- Cut a piece of string for the handle, mine was 1.6 meters, I like to wear my bag across. Pass it through the side and tie a Reef Knot (PIC 6)
Enjoy the macrame beach bag, use it and don’t forget to tag me @_twome
I would love to see it in different colours and don’t forget that you can add your own touch my adding tassels, shells, beads and more.